Pharmacy technicians are responsible for assisting pharmacists with day-to-day operations. They help in measuring, compounding, packaging and distributing medications.
Though pharmacy technician resume responsibilities vary based on where they work, some common responsibilities include:
- Gathering patient information and doctor’s prescriptions in computer systems
- Prepare and package prescriptions
- Maintain proper drug storage and security
- Place and receive orders for stock to maintain inventory
They usually work under the general supervision of the pharmacy services co-ordinator, a pharmacy technician supervisor resume, or a pharmacist.
In this document, you will learn about:
What should a pharmacy technician put on resume?
There are some common points that you need to include while writing a resume for pharmacy technician.
- Display certification
- Emphasize your skills
- Make your professional experience section worth reading
- Use action verbs
- Mention volunteering experience or other achievements
Pharmacy technician resume skills
The most important responsibility of a pharmacy technician is to assist the senior pharmacist in fulfilling the prescription requirements. They also need to keep the drug inventory up to date and organized so that retrieval of drugs is easily done. These are the set of skills required by a pharmacy technician:
- Knowledge of technology
In today’s world, every industry relies heavily on technology. Be it to keep up with the new drugs/medicines in the market or understanding of medications, insurance claims, etc, a pharmacy technician needs to have a sound knowledge of the latest trends in technology and how it works.
- Organizational skills
A pharmacy store houses hundreds of different medicines and drugs. To keep the store stocked up in the most organized way so that looking for medicines is easier and quicker is one of the requirements. A pharmacy technician must also be able to multi-task while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Attention to detail
People all over the world rely on medication to improve their health. This is the reason that pharmacies are usually very busy places. Despite the busy days, the pharmacists need to deliver the required medicines on time, and most importantly, the right kind of medicine! If in a hurried state, the pharmacy technician misreads the name or dosage of the medicine or drug, it can cost the buyers their lives.
- Data entry
Keeping track of how much stock is in store and what needs to be ordered is one of the most essential aspects of a pharmacy. Entering data about the different medication/drug, its quantity, volume, in stock, expiry date and other notes is an important part.
- Communication skills
Most people are intimidated by doctors and are not very comfortable with asking them questions. Their ultimate option is a pharmacist from who they can ask all their doubts multiple times. A pharmacy technician needs to be able to communicate well and answer the queries of people in the most humble way possible.
Listing these skills on the resume is important for the reader to understand the kind of person you are, and if you fit the given requirements.
Resume example for pharmacy technician
To build a resume that is up to the mark and includes the points that the readers will be interested in reading, it is important to follow a certain order. If a resume is just a random blend of different topics, just forced together into one place, it is most likely to give out a wrong impression to the readers and may end up in the dustbin. In order to make a resume worth reading, you can follow some pharmacy technician resume templates. The most widely used resume template for a pharmacy technician is as follows:
- Contact details (First and last names, Email address, Phone number)
- Resume objective
- Resume summary
- Relevant skills
- Professional experience (in reverse chronological order)
- Educational qualifications
- Licenses (if any)
- Additional details (hobbies, interests, languages known, etc)
The most important point while following a resume template is to not lose your individuality. If your profile has some exceptional points that the resume templates pharmacy technician do not contain, do not hesitate to include them. They will not just help you stand out from the rest, but also tell the reader a lot more about you, increasing your chances of selecting you for the job.
You can check out some free resume templates for pharmacy technician here.
Entry-level pharmacy technician resume
If you are an entry-level pharmacist technician resume with no experience, you can frame your resume objective using the knowledge and skills you have acquired through your education and certification. If you mention the skills that are the most relevant to the job description, you are more likely to be selected for the job even when you have a pharmacy technician entry level resume.
If you have done an internship in the same field, or have relevant training experience as a pharmacy technician resume, ensure that you mention it as specifically as possible. A pharmacy technician internship resume is the golden door to get you that job that requires little or no prior experience in the field.
Senior pharmacy technician resume
With the word ‘senior’ in your resume, your job responsibilities, and your employer’s expectations from you automatically increase. This also means that your resume needs to have much more refined points than that of a pharmacy technician resume entry level. These are the points you need to keep in mind while writing a senior pharmacy technician resume:
- Pay more emphasis on your professional experience than other sections.
- List your professional experience in reverse chronological order 9the most recent job at the top.
- Explain the key points of your previous jobs and how you added value to the company/organization/entity.
- While listing your educational qualifications, list only 1 or 2 of the most recent and relevant ones.
- Adding a list of the licenses is a bonus point on a senior pharmacy technician resume.
- Technological expertise is more refined than the basic knowledge.
Click here for some senior certified pharmacy technician resume samples.
Pharmacy technician resume samples
While you focus on creating a resume that is just about right for your dream job, you might overlook some very minor errors. These small errors can cost you the job you really want to have. These are some points that you need to keep in mind before hitting that Send button on your resume:
- Provide a crisp and to-the-point description of your educational qualification, certification and other licenses you might have. This will help the reader understand your key takeaways and how they have contributed to your overall success.
- Focus on non-technical skills that you have acquired over your education and professional tenure, that have helped you be better at your job. These skills include organizational skills, leadership skills and communication skills. The main reason for this focus is that technical skills can be acquired very easily, making them very common. Behavioural skills are quite difficult to master, and hence, give you an edge over the others.
- Do not forget to proofread. After so many edits and re-edits, it might get very difficult for you to bring yourself to read it again, but all your efforts might go to waste if there is a major grammatical or spelling error in your resume.
You can find some good pharmacy technician resume samples here.
Pharmacy technician resume objective
The objective statement on a resume must be of some value to the employer. If the objective is made up of a random placement of words and does not convey the right message, it is not much of a use. An interesting and attention-grabbing resume objective for pharmacy technician will catch the eye of the reader, and entice her/him to read further. You might have an excellent educational background or the most relevant job experience, but the objective for pharmacy technician resume decides if those sections will be paid attention to.
These are some of the best pharmacy technician resume objectives examples:
Seek to be a part of the XYZ hospital/pharmacy as a Pharmacy Technician, bringing relevant experience and knowledge of IV and antiseptic techniques, computer entry, and strong communication skills.
You can find more such free objectives for a pharmacy technician resume here.
Pharmacy technician resume cover letter
Writing the resume of a pharmacy technician is an important step in your job search. But is that the only step? Not really. Writing a cover letter is an equally important aspect.
While writing a cover letter, be sure to include the job requirements listed in the pharmacy technician job description resume. This cover letter will help you highlight your experience and qualifications in the best possible way.
Here are some tips you can follow while writing a great cover letter:
- In a few sentences, explain why your skills match the job description and how you are a great fit for the role.
- Additionally, also mention how the company will add value to your career goals and professional growth.
- In a paragraph, connect the skills that you have acquired over time, with the requirements listed in the job description. Try to quantify the points in numbers instead of writing too many words.
- Try to include the points that are not covered in your resume. Merely repeating the same points might bore the reader.
- Close the letter by thanking the employer for their time to read the letter. Express your interest in continuing to the next step in the hiring process.
You can find a good example of a cover letter for a pharmacy technician resume here.
Pharmacy technician resume keywords
While you apply to a bigger organization/ company, your resume is most likely to be filtered through a recruitment tool first. For the tool to sort the appropriate resumes from the bad ones, some keywords are fed into it, based on which the tool makes the selection. Include these keywords or action words is important to get noticed quickly by any recruitment tool.
These are the keywords you can use while writing your pharmacy technician resume:
Pharmacy technician resume summary
The summary section of the resume is to highlight the biggest accomplishments of the candidate. Using action verbs and numerical data to highlight your professional expertise is the best way to get noticed by both, human recruiters and recruitment tools.
One of the best examples of a pharmacy technician summary is
Dynamic Pharmacy Technician with experience in daily functions of pharmacies. Bringing intense knowledge of pharmacy operations, medication management, storage and distribution. Adept in working well with Pharmacists to ensure success and high customer satisfaction.
Jobs in the medical field are of utmost importance as they are responsible for saving lives. Pharmacy technician responsibilities resume is to assist the senior pharmacists in the smooth functioning of the store and help people be healthy and fit.